Welcome to the Soul Sisters Blog!

We’re three sisters on a mission to empower and inspire women everywhere to pursue their passions and achieve their dreams. Our story is probably not unlike your own; a tug at the heartstring, a feeling of wanting more from life, a desire to fulfill a divine purpose. It was these relentless yearnings that inspired the concept of Soulspring Groups.

When our souls open up (and they tend to quite often) we’ve got to share! We invite you to read our thoughts (and occasional rants) on women, empowerment, passion, destiny and life! Feel free to share your comments; we love to hear your thoughts (and rants) too! And, become an official follower! It's always fun to see the company we're keeping!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Women's Empowerment Tip: Power from No


If you think this is another article about prioritizing and learning to gracefully say no to some of the many requests we receive as women, you’re in for a bit of a surprise. I’m not going to be sharing about saying no, but rather getting no’s.

Why would we want to hear the word no? After all, don’t we spend a lot of time avoiding that negative word? I know it seems crazy, but bear with me.

What if the word no wasn’t as negative as we believe? What if the word no was actually a gateway to positivity, empowerment and all that we want from life?

O.k., now that I have your attention…I have a theory and I challenge you to think about this in your own life. I notice that when I have a request and need to ask for something from another, I tend to make the request in my own mind, and then as if I know how the other party will respond, I give myself the answer. If I think the other person will say yes, I tend to move forward and make my request and of course the outcome is as I imagined and my request is granted.

But sometimes, and maybe more often than I care to admit, I hear the word no as the reply to this back and forth exchange going on in my head. Worse yet, this no is followed by a barrage of reasons why my plea couldn’t possibly be granted. I feel a sense of disappointment, and to save myself from rejection give up on the whole idea.

Then it occurred to me; why am I assuming I know how the other person is going to respond? Why do I believe they will decline my plea? Why am I afraid of that little, two letter word? What am I withholding from myself and my life, by so easily accepting anything other than a yes to my need?

As women we are so accustomed to granting the wishes of others, but how often do we make a request on our own behalf? I don’t think the average woman asks for enough. Maybe we don’t think we’re deserving, maybe we don’t want to be demanding, or maybe we’re just afraid to hear a no.

So I’m implementing a self-imposed challenge, and I invite you to join me in my quest for no’s (3 no’s a day to be exact). I’m still planning to rehearse my requests in my head, but instead of hearing a no, I’m going to hear a yes and experience the happiness and gratitude upon hearing my need affirmed. Now for the important part; I’ll actually follow-through on my request. Regardless of whether I get the yes I’m expecting, or the no I feared, at least I’ll have asked and I’ll know that I’m receiving all that is possible for me.


The worst that can happen; I hear a no. But that will be overshadowed by the number of wishes granted to me; many of which I would have never had the courage to ask for before!


Three no’s a day will be my goal. To me that’s the magic number to know that I’m asking for enough from life.

Kim,
Sister of Soul

Soulspiration of the Week:
“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek; and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.” ~Matthew 7:7-8



No comments:

Post a Comment