Welcome to the Soul Sisters Blog!

We’re three sisters on a mission to empower and inspire women everywhere to pursue their passions and achieve their dreams. Our story is probably not unlike your own; a tug at the heartstring, a feeling of wanting more from life, a desire to fulfill a divine purpose. It was these relentless yearnings that inspired the concept of Soulspring Groups.

When our souls open up (and they tend to quite often) we’ve got to share! We invite you to read our thoughts (and occasional rants) on women, empowerment, passion, destiny and life! Feel free to share your comments; we love to hear your thoughts (and rants) too! And, become an official follower! It's always fun to see the company we're keeping!

Monday, December 28, 2009

The Gift of Memories


As I get more seasoned as a mother I realize more and more how great my own parents are. They provided for all our needs as we grew up but always put more attention on the non-material things in life. They were constantly putting time into making memories with us over buying an over-abundance of gifts. Our Christmases from the past included caroling, tobogganing, homemade eggnog, and surprise visits from Santa. Each year was complete with a flurry of gift opening as well, but these are the memories I remember. Yes, we all want the best for our children but I think there is something to be said for a child to be raised with wanting some things that they never quite get. And for those gifts that they do get…isn’t the excitement that much more intense when a gift has been on their wish list for years prior?

As my children get older I try to parent them as my parents did my siblings and me. Instead of putting the focus on the gifts at Christmas, I try to put the focus on making memories. Memories are a funny thing though; there is no way for me to know what things my kids will remember and what they will forget. All I can do is to take the time to create memorable experiences for them and hope that they remember.

We got home at about 10:30pm on Christmas Eve, after a busy evening of church and then a family gathering. The drive home was a little treacherous, but once we made it we could appreciate the beautiful evening; calm winds, warm temps in the upper 20’s, and the hugest snowflakes coming down over our neighborhood. Now my normal routine is to hurry from the car into house while my husband unloads the kids. But this night was different as I instantly saw an opportunity to make a memory for my daughter. As we stood at the edge of the garage watching the snowfall I reached down and packed together a snowball and threw it at my husband. I’m still not sure who was more surprised, my husband or my daughter. It took a few moments for her to realize what mommy had just done. Then she let out a laugh like you’ve never heard. Before we knew it all three of us were out in the driveway throwing snowballs at each other. And there we stood, still in our dress clothes from the Christmas evening, having a snowball fight, and making a memory for my daughter.

There was so much to enjoy about this past holiday season but that was easily my highlight and I hope it’s a memory that sticks with my daughter. If not, oh well, I plan to give plenty more throughout the years!

Becky,
Sister of Soul

Soulspiration of the Week:
“Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” ~From the television show The Wonder Years

No comments:

Post a Comment