Welcome to the Soul Sisters Blog!

We’re three sisters on a mission to empower and inspire women everywhere to pursue their passions and achieve their dreams. Our story is probably not unlike your own; a tug at the heartstring, a feeling of wanting more from life, a desire to fulfill a divine purpose. It was these relentless yearnings that inspired the concept of Soulspring Groups.

When our souls open up (and they tend to quite often) we’ve got to share! We invite you to read our thoughts (and occasional rants) on women, empowerment, passion, destiny and life! Feel free to share your comments; we love to hear your thoughts (and rants) too! And, become an official follower! It's always fun to see the company we're keeping!

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Squash Adventure


I’m not ashamed to admit that I like food. In fact, there are very few foods I won’t eat. I’m not a fan of melons and just within the last few years tomatoes, which used to be a favorite, don’t taste quite the same to me. Then there are the foods I’ve despised since childhood: lima beans and squash.

Supposedly squash tastes like “candy”, or so my parents always said. Hmmm, really? I never got that. It wasn’t just the taste; the texture was a little grainy and, how can I say…fiberous? And just seeing that orangish-golden color made me gag just a bit. Yes, squash was hands-down my least favorite food.

But something happened this weekend. I ate squash! Yes, and not only did I eat it, but I liked it too! Who knew?

My husband and I escaped over Easter weekend for some much needed “together-time”. He’s recently adopted a healthier way of eating, which includes eliminating gluten from the menu. If you’ve never considered it before, let me just say that gluten comes from wheat and many other grains, and wheat and grains are a pretty common staple for the American diet. Of course the typical breads, pastries, pastas, and cakes, all contain gluten, not to mention many sauces, gravies, soups, and the like. Even though we know the most obvious hiding places for gluten, we’re still often surprised. The rule is that if we didn’t prepare the food ourselves, we ask.

So it was on Saturday afternoon, after a wine-tasting at Chateau St. Croix, when we decide to head to St. Croix Falls for a bite at Grecco’s. They have a very eclectic menu, all freshly prepared foods; surely we would find something wonderfully (and gluten-free) there!?

Perusing the menu, everything sounded amazing, and was served on bread or thickened with flour. We asked our waitress about gluten-free options and she checked with the chef. As it turned out the chicken meatball appetizer was prepared without flour or breadcrumbs and had been a favorite among the patrons this weekend. The only problem, it was served on a layer of creamed squash. Chuck’s eyes lit up and I knew I couldn’t poo-poo the only thing on the menu that fit with his way of eating, so we ordered.

I figured I could just scrape off the squash part, but when the plate arrived my hopes were dashed. Instead of a mound of squash, like I envisioned, the meatballs were in a puddle of golden soup. It was a beautiful presentation however, and the aroma was pleasing too, and so I decided to give it a try.

The chicken was tender and juicy, perfectly seasoned. And, the squash? Creamy…smooth…buttery…delicious!

Yes, I ate the squash and I liked it. While not a death-defying feat, I felt proud for having taken the risk. Had I stuck to my childhood belief, that squash was the most despising of vegetables, I never would have experienced that tasty adventure!

And that’s when it hit me…what other childhood beliefs am I still allowing to hold me back from experiencing life to the max? I think it’s time to challenge those long-standing beliefs and re-evaluate their truth for my life. Are they beliefs of a young, insecure child, or the beliefs of a confident, empowered, adventurous woman? I get excited just thinking of the new adventures that could be in store!

Umm, I don’t think I’m quite ready for the lima beans though.

Kim,
Sister of Soul
Soulspiration of the Week:
“Within you right now is the power to do things you never dreamed possible. This power becomes available to you just as you can change your beliefs.” ~Maxwell Maltz

No comments:

Post a Comment