Welcome to the Soul Sisters Blog!

We’re three sisters on a mission to empower and inspire women everywhere to pursue their passions and achieve their dreams. Our story is probably not unlike your own; a tug at the heartstring, a feeling of wanting more from life, a desire to fulfill a divine purpose. It was these relentless yearnings that inspired the concept of Soulspring Groups.

When our souls open up (and they tend to quite often) we’ve got to share! We invite you to read our thoughts (and occasional rants) on women, empowerment, passion, destiny and life! Feel free to share your comments; we love to hear your thoughts (and rants) too! And, become an official follower! It's always fun to see the company we're keeping!

Monday, May 3, 2010

If You Can Read This . . . Thank a Teacher!


I have a special place in my heart for teachers. I had some good teachers when I was in school. No one teacher in particular stands out for me, though, except for maybe--my dad. He taught at a technical college for over 30 years, however it wasn’t until his retirement party that I got a good sense of the affect he had on hundreds of students.

You see my Dad wasn’t your “typical” teacher. He wasn’t just teaching these kids the trade of how to fix major appliances. No, he was also teaching them life lessons. Those “other” things it takes to be successful not only in the business world, but more importantly in life. Lessons such as: it is always best to do the “right thing” instead of taking the easy way out, the art of good customer service goes way beyond the customer, the many benefits of a simple hand-written thank you note, and the list goes on.

As his former students mingled about the day of his retirement party, not one person said, “Your dad was the best teacher because his class was so easy!” In fact, it was quite the opposite. They told story after story of how they admired their teacher because he held them accountable. They respected that, and they knew that the tough lessons had made them successful.

His teachings didn’t stop in the classroom. I can recall many lessons as I was growing up; some harder to learn than others. But nonetheless important life lessons that I now carry forward to my own children. To this day, I am blessed to be able to continue to receive wisdom and advice from my number-one teacher.

A white wooden windmill stands as an icon atop a prominent knoll on our family farm. I see it as a symbol of my dad’s teaching career transitioning into his retirement profession. He began construction on this windmill in the months prior to his retirement. I’m not quite sure of the reasoning behind it, but maybe it is to signify the new direction his life would take--being grounded by the enjoyment of teaching others and the freedom of now going whichever way the wind may blow.

This Tuesday, May 4th is National Teacher Day. Be sure to acknowledge those teachers who have made a difference in your life. And remember, teachers don’t necessarily have to do their teaching in a classroom.

We’d love to hear your stories of that special teacher and how they impacted your life. Just enter your comments below.

Jenny,
Sister of Soul

Soul-spiration of the Week:
The best teachers teach from the heart, not from the book. ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment